Friday 5 October 2012

Other Sources


I have started to collect imagery from magazines of celebrities out and about shopping, to merge with my own personal photographs of people shopping. I am interested in the idea of whether mass media imagery that we are bombarded with becomes confused with our own personal memories. I want to explore the idea of whether the visualisation of our memories incorporates what we actually remember, as well as images that we have seen over time in mass media, and possibly begin to merge with our personal memories. It's hard to know whether what we visualise when we recall a memory is actually what we experienced, or whether photographs have crept into our memories over time, and distorted our memory. Using images from other sources such as magazines also helps with the idea of 'collective memory' that I am interested in, as they are the sort of imagery that the general public have seen, unlike my own photographs which are more personal and exclusive, making them less translatable to the viewer. I like the idea of using both my own and secondary imagery, as it plays with the distortion between personal and collective memory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment